NZ Warriors CEO was disappointed with his two players

It will go down as one of the best games of the year as Bulldogs five eighth Matt Burton’s golden point field goal saw his side home over a hugely depleted Warriors, 13-12.

Without their skipper, fullback and both wingers, the Warriors were dealt an avalanche of adversity, but lived up to their name with a tenacious performance.Mitchell Barnett of the Warriors in possession. Canterbury Bulldogs v One NZ Warriors. NRL Rugby League, Accor Stadium.

The visitors were dealt a huge blow before kick-off, with skipper Tohu Harris ruled out with a wrist injury.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, and Marcello Montoya were all forced from the field through injury, leaving the Warriors with a makeshift backline for majority of the second spell.

Unable to be separated on the scoreboard after 80 minutes, the sides went to golden point where they traded field goal attempts in a pulsating finish.

As things looked set to end in stalemate, Burton made the clutch play to break the resilient Warriors.

The Warriors had an early shot at points as Harris Tavita sent one across to a leaping Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, only for the winger to knock it on in the air.

Another chance went begging when Te Maire Martin waltzed through a gaping hole but was called back for obstruction.

The Bulldogs were struggling to complete their sets, committing numerous errors, but were given a reprieve when Marcello Montoya was penalised and put on report for a no arms hit.

As the 20-minute mark ticked over, the Warriors were looking assured to open the scoring. Harris Tavita threw a wide ball but it was picked off by Matt Burton who streaked 80 upfield and found Bronson Xerri on his inside jut as the cover came.

In a coach killer moment, the Bulldogs made an error from their first hit up after scoring. It took just one play for the Warriors to make them pay, Watene-Zelezniak flying into the corner, expertly grounding it under plenty of attention.

Montoya made up for his earlier indiscretion, barrelling his way over the chalk off a ball from Mitch Barnett to take the lead as Pompey converted from the corner.

Marcelo Montoya of the Warriors scores a try during the NRL Round 18 match between the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and the New Zealand Warriors.

Marcelo Montoya of the Warriors scores a try during the NRL Round 18 match between the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and the New Zealand Warriors. Photo: Photosport

With four repeat sets inside the Warriors 20, the visitors managed to repel the relentless Bulldogs attack right on the brink of the break.

The injury curse continued for the Warriors, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstsad’s evening ended with a calf injury.

Watene-Zelezniak was also sent to the sideline for a head injury assessment. It was deemed a category one concussion and the Warriors were without their winger and fullback for the last half hour.

Their issues were compounded after Sexton put it on a platter for Villiame Kikau to win the aerial battle against Adam Pompey and slam the ball down, squaring the ledger at 12 apiece.

The last remaining member of the back three then also succumbed to injury, with Montoya limping off, leaving the Warriors backline in absolute disarray.

The flustered Warriors managed to survive another onslaught from the home side, an offside penalty giving them a much-needed reprieve.

After bravely defending at the other end, the Warriors clicked into attack and with his first touch, Leka Halasima made a storming run but was held up over the chalk in a stunning play.

A towering Burton bomb spilled by Tuivasa-Sheck gave Burton a field goal from infront, but hit the upright as the drama continued and we went to golden point to separate to two sides.

Harris-Tavita had the first shot at the posts of the extra period but pushed his attempt just wide.

Burton was next up, his long range attempt falling agonisingly short of the sticks.

The shot for shot continued, Harris-Tavita again only slightly to the left of the horns.

The Bulldogs had the first opportunity of the second period, and Burton charged down to give them back-to-back sets.

They needed no further invitation, Burton finally nailing one down the middle to bring the curtain down on an absolute classic.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.